Thursday, March 19, 2009

Laramie Trip

I had a bitter-sweet expeience in February. The 6 year old son of two good friends of ours from college passed away in an accident. Even though we only met him a couple times, we knew he was a sweet boy and he is very loved and missed by his family. They have been such an example of how the atonement and the promise of resurrection is real for everyone. I left on Wednesday, 2/11, night and stayed in Gillette. Ken was so wonderful in letting me go. The next day was full of emotion. Yes, sadness and loss, but mostly inspiration, love and hope! After the funeral, I went on to Laramie. My best friend, Kori, was visiting Laramie from Boise and I couldn't pass up the chance to see her and meet her little Nash. I drove around Laramie and was again filled with emotion. It's amazing how much it still feels like home!! Here are some of our important spots:


This is a drive-by/camera phone shot of the Institute. My second home while I was single and the place I met the love of my life!!






This was our (Ken and I) first appartment (the basement). It doesn't seem to have changed much! :)


I also had the great opportunity to meet with two dear, sweet sisters. Grandma Alley adopted Ken and I as her "grand kids" and I was so happy to see that she is still as sweet and busy as ever! We love you!!!
My other dear friend, Marie Turner was also a joy to meet with. She was always so good to us and it did my heart good to sit with her as short as the time was...I wish I had a better picture! :s


This is Ken's second home: The UW Engineering Building. There were times I despised this place because it kept Ken away from me so much, but I couldn't believe the sentiment it brought up in me when I saw it again!



It was getting dark, but this was my dorm, White Hall, my freshman year. My roomate was Stephanie Walker (now Erikson) and we still keep in contact! We were on the top floor in the SE corner.

So after a drive down memory lane, I surprised Kori when I met up with her. She was staying with her brother Kody and his family. We had a wonderful dinner, then went to visit our friends Dave and Patty Turner. Then we went to the Institue. We played pool, listened to some tunes, ate popcorn, had hot chocolate and apple cider...it was just like old times and such a blast!!
That night I became awfully ill and ended up in the ER the next day. (That explains the glamour shot of me above) My eternal thanks to Kori and especially her sister-in-law for all they did for me!! The next day was Valentine's Day and Ken and my Dad met us in Casper and took me home. I'm forever thankful I got to see Kori...I miss her so much!! But I feel awful about the situation! A test of true friendship for sure!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! White Hall. That is a trip down memory lane. Did you know that you were my one & only roommate ever before I met Kasey & got married? I couldn't have asked for a better one, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man... when this happened we were so sorry to hear all about it. What a sad and tragic thing to happen to that family. Then for you to get so sick!! That's so sad! We're glad you were able to make it home safely though! :)

    ReplyDelete