Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sentimental Journey

Last week, we went to Denver for my brother, Matt's wedding. We were staying with some friends in Cheyenne. After the wedding, on the way back to Cheyenne, we stopped in Fort Collins, CO where we lived for a year and 1/2 and where Taysum was born. We haven't been back in nearly five years. I thought I would feel more sentimental about things, but we didn't live there very long and a lot of things have changed. Plus the kids woke up as we got into town and were grumpy, yelling and crying...so it was kind of hard to feel those warm happy feelings I thought I would feel! We drove by our old house. Not much has changed, other than the two little trees in front have gotten a little bigger. Also, there used to be a big bush in front; they took that out and replaced it with a little flower bed. We also drove by Ken's old work... didn't feel much about that either! :(
I was really glad we drove around. We loved Fort Collins while we lived there! We also met so many wonderful people!!
I thought we'd have stronger feelings the next day as we went home through Laramie because this is where we met and spent the first four years of our life together; but between a repeat of grumpy kids, an expensive lunch, rain and diarrhea, again it was hard to feel warm and happy thoughts!
However, I was glad that we took the time to drive around. We drove past the Education and Engineering buildings and our old apartments. It was really great to see the Institute! We didn't really stop anywhere, we just drove by. We did take the kids to LaBonte Park. It's a park that was really near the apartments we lived in and I used to dream about having a baby and taking our kids to the park to play. That didn't happen while we were in Laramie, but it was fun to take them now! Plus it was a nice break!



Then we went to Old Downtown to one of our favorite spots, the train bridge.

The kids were so excited to see the trains... until one actually drove by! It goes right under your feet and it's loud and hot and shakes the whole bridge! It scared them to death!


We actually had our engagement picture taken on the train bridge and I always thought it would be so neat to get a picture of our whole family in the same place. It didn't turn out too bad for rigging it up on the self-timer on the stroller!
July 2010
November 1999 Just some other fun pictcures:





I'm so frustrated that I didn't have Ken stick Hayden behind the rail and get a shot of him too!!

I'm really glad we took the time to go back and see the places we used to live and remember some really good times and the start of our life together!
On the way home, we were kind of tired of fast food, so we just got some ham, cheese and crackers at a Wal Mart in Casper. We let the kids take a quick ride as well. This was their ride...

This was Hayden's ;) ...
This was the last picture I was able to take. I totally killed the battery on the camera!

4 comments:

  1. Ok...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the engagement and then family pic on the bridge. That is so cool. What an awesome way to see just how far you've come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim what a special time. It is fun to go down memory lane every now and then isn't it. I am with you on that it sometimes doesn't bring on the emotions that I expect it to either. I absolutely love the family pics on the bridge. How can the specialness of having a beautiful family ever be topped? I admire you and Ken so much. You two are great parents that really know how to focus on what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you took your family picture the same place as your engagement! So sweet! Driving past old memories always surprises me with the different emotions I have. Love this post;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim I love the new family picture and was wondering where you took it. Such a cute family!!

    ReplyDelete